Long awaited success with Fringed leaf frogs!

The Fringed leaf frog, Cruziohyla craspedopus is one of our most popular and captivating exhibit animals

In a long-term collaboration with @Mark Pepper and Understory Enterprises, the amphibian team at the Atlanta Botanical Garden has bred the Amazonian Fringe-limbed Leaf Frog (Cruziohyla craspedopus). I’m proud of my amphibian team for sticking with this project through countless difficult twists and turns. Nice to get results! - Dante Fenolio


Fringed leaf frogs in amplexus in the rainchamber
The eggs of Cruziohyla craspedopus are blue, which is not unusual with phyllomedusine frogs.  Here you can see development beginning.

A few days later, the embryos, with gill filaments are clearly visible
Just after hatching. Notice the large fin fold.
Pigmentation has started. The robust tadpoles are much darker than they were at hatching. 

Comments

  1. I have one surviving adult from the offspring from last year, through BJ

    Can you tell me the length of females vs males?

    I havent observed calling but he/she is alone.

    I'd like to search out a mate if I can confirm what I have.

    Would it help for me to take a glass shot above a ruler?

    Shawn Harrington.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Shawn ... yes, a shot with a ruler would be helpful, and profile of the face too please. I would be happy to try and sex him/her for you. How old is this frog? Are you sure it's full grown?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ask the frog staff: How many tadpoles actually survive into adulthood?

Amphibians and Solar Eclipses — What to Expect

Species Highlight: Captive Breeding of Fringed Leaf Frogs