Rabb's Fringe-limbed tree frog update


A recent picture of our Rabb's Fringe-limbed tree frog. Currently believed to be the last of the species.

Since he was featured in the July issue of National Geographic, I have heard from an overwhelming amount of concerned people regarding this frog. I am grateful to Joel Sartore and National Geographic magazine for getting his story out there, but the truth is this species in not in a unique situation. Many amphibian species are currently threatened with extinction worldwide (Recent research suggests that more than one third of amphibian species are declining). The reasons for this are various and are most likely working in concert towards amphibian population declines.

I thought I would mention that as of today, our last Rabb's Fringe-limbe tree frog is doing well. He is holding his weight and eating. He likes to sit in his tree hole and take it easy most of the time, and we try not to bother him too much.

Recently, I had a request for some higher resolution pictures of our frog for printing for classrooms. I am happy to help, so I am posting some here. Feel free to use these images for such purposes, and credit the Garden whenever possible. As I mentioned earlier, I receive daily requests about the frog's well being, or to see or photograph the frog and I try to return all inquiries personally, but it has been challenging to keep up. I thought regular blog posts might be a good way to keep everyone up to date. He is housed in our biosecure frogPOD which unfortunately isn't open to the public, but when he is out and cooperating for pictures, I will try to keep a regular photo-journal of his activities.


Comments

  1. Hi

    I'm looking for a quality website such as frogpodblog.blogspot.com to place some advertising on your site. You will be pay to display advertising.

    Let me know if this is of interest and we can hopefully come to some agreement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi

    I'm looking for a quality website such as frogpodblog.blogspot.com to place some advertising on your site. You will be pay to display advertising.

    Let me know if this is of interest and we can hopefully come to some agreement.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ask the frog staff: How many tadpoles actually survive into adulthood?

Amphibians and Solar Eclipses — What to Expect

Species Highlight: Captive Breeding of Fringed Leaf Frogs